
The process of making beer goes back several thousand years, back to the ancient Egyptians, who called beer 'Um-koo-kawai,' which roughly translates as "hey, give me another / I did not know that was your sister." Strange and complex society, the Egyptians. In determining ways to best preserve and store grain, literally the meal of human-kind, many different techniques were experimented with. Among these techniques included the boiling of grain, followed by storage in a cool climate. Essentially, the Egyptians discovered how to liquefy bread (note: liquid bread or 'bread juice' was an alternate name for beer in ancient Egypt, but failed to catch on for 2 important reasons:
1. It sounds disgusting.
2. 'Hey give me another' was much more commonly uttered during the consumption of beer.)
Everything important to life is found in beer.**
1. Water. The building block of life.
2. Grain. More building blocks of life (amino acids, carbs, etc.)
3. Yeast. The creator of life. Yeast used to be called Goodisgoode because it contained within it the miracle of creation, i.e. the creation of life.
4. Hops. In the hemp family.
This is why I argue that beer brewing is the finest of arts. What other art forms have such pleasurable / delicious endproducts?
To quote the god Bender:
"I give the my one commandment: Thy lord needs booze!"
Amen.
Amen.
On that note, be hereby forwarned: I plan on turning an entire continent into a beer garden. It will require the enslavement of its entire population, either as serving wenches, manservants, barkeeps, brewmasters, farmers, and the luckiest (read: fattest and tastiest) will be used to add flavoring to my favorite beer, Humanbock. I have yet to determine which continent I intend to use, but Austrialia knows its been on my watch list ever since the P.M. refused to have Ayres Rock cut into the likeness of my stunning visage.
**My one criticism of beer is that there is altogether too much life involved with it. Thus my creation of Humanbock. The misery is what makes it taste great! That and human marrow.

1 comment:
Strong words from a man who is not brewing any beer right now.
I am currently enjoying 4 batches of recently completed homebrew whith two more ready to be bottled. A website may be coming soon.
Post a Comment